Hardman & Sons original NYC-made grand piano for sale in northeast Los Angeles.Read More
Songsmith LA - Formerly BA Music Studio! Back in Atwater Village.Read More
Hello, songwriters! I'm happy to announce the group is returning after a break for a couple months. I hope you're having a great summer!
We start up again for the fall on
Saturday, August 15 Friday August 21 - date has changed! It's a great collection of people at different levels sharing new music and giving feedback.
Saturday, August 15, 2015, 3 to 4:30pm Friday August 21, 7-8:30pm -- free this month!
What: Songwriters Group Class for any level
Why: To share your work and get inspired to keep writing, get started, or collaborate!
RSVP for the August 21 class >>
In the past I've given a new assignment for classes every 3 weeks; this fall, I'm giving 2-4 assignments for the whole month, and you can pick which ones to complete, knowing that I may give you an individual assignment to guide your progress. This will enable you to work on assignments for your lessons to get feedback before the group!
These aren't due at the August class but you're encouraged to get started on at least one. You can present your work at the next class if needed.
Your choices are 2 or more of the following:
1. LYRIC-FIRST WRITING WITH A LYRIC EVERYONE KNOWS: Take the lyrics for Yesterday by the Beatles. Write a new song with them with different chords and melody and even instrumentation. This is a challenge because you'll hear the original melody in your head. Change to minor key, come up with chords first, or hum a melody into your phone's recorder. Improv is key or start with a stock progression (a good idea for songwriting any day) using Autochords or a similar app. Another tip: try altering the pacing of the lyrics; don’t pause in the same places. You can expand the lyrics as well - add a verse!
2. CHORD, MELODY FIRST WRITING: RE-WRITING LYRICS TO AN EXISTING SONG. You may alter the melody as you see fit, but keep the general chords, rhythm, and feel of the original song, which is TBA (stayed tuned or RSVP for more).
3. LYRIC-FIRST WRITING AND SWAPPING: Write an original lyric on an index card (single side only, the quicker the better); set it to music, it should be less than 120 seconds long. Record it quickly without editing and share it with me. You'll trade lyrics with a partner, who will make a new song from your lyrics without hearing your recorded version. You'll make a new song from that person (or another's) lyrics. We'll share both recorded versions of yours and your partners' songs at group class.
4. CHORDS-FIRST WRITING: Write a song of any length based on the chords given. They can't be changed. :)
At the class please try to bring one assignment in, even if it's just a partial.
You can also bring material you've been working on (recorded, or play for us!) and we'll do a structured feedback loop. You're always welcome to just attend and observe as well. If you need help getting started with songwriting (chords, lyrics, freewriting, object writing are several approaches), just holler! It's OK to come even if you've never written a song before.
Class is usually $30 but free for August 21. Snacks and drinks provided. Please RSVP and you'll get the full assignments, thanks!
Now available in Atwater Village: a nicely maintained Mason and Hamlin console piano, brown, including a padded bench. Recently tuned, it's located in the house in front of my studio on Atwater Avenue - so come take a lesson and give it a look if you're in the market for a smaller piano!
Console pianos are shorter than uprights - while still having a nice tone and sound. This one appraised for $1,500 to $2,000 and is for sale for just $500.
Contact Bobby for a lesson and to look at the piano!
Check back here soon for more information on
- Summer Camp for kids!
- Group classes - children
- Group classes - adults
These classes will feature, among other concepts:
- Basics of piano
- Music theory
- Singing in tune
- Transposing (changing keys)
- Accompanying yourself or someone else - singing while playing is hard!
Also coming soon:
- The next studio open house! The Atwater Village launch party last month was for friends and family - the next, for students and the community. Come see the space, meet me if you haven't, and hear me and others play (or play, yourself!)
- Adult student meet-ups for socializing and making music
- Summer recitals!
Contact me today to be on the list for more updates as they come, to ask questions, or make a suggestion! Thanks!
A huge thank you to everyone who came to my new studio space grand opening party / performance!
We had around 35 folks at the new Atwater Village piano and music studio, and I performed several original piano pieces, excerpts from the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2 (1st Movement), followed by a vocal performance by Dan Callaway that I accompanied.
Photos are below and a few videos, too!
This was just the first of many open houses, there are more to come and next up is requests night - think 80s and any rock and pop you love. More to come.