Hardman & Sons original NYC-made grand piano for sale in northeast Los Angeles.Read More
Songsmith LA - Formerly BA Music Studio! Back in Atwater Village.Read More
Hello, songwriters! I'm happy to announce the group is returning after a break for a couple months. I hope you're having a great summer!
We start up again for the fall on
Saturday, August 15 Friday August 21 - date has changed! It's a great collection of people at different levels sharing new music and giving feedback.
Saturday, August 15, 2015, 3 to 4:30pm Friday August 21, 7-8:30pm -- free this month!
What: Songwriters Group Class for any level
Why: To share your work and get inspired to keep writing, get started, or collaborate!
RSVP for the August 21 class >>
In the past I've given a new assignment for classes every 3 weeks; this fall, I'm giving 2-4 assignments for the whole month, and you can pick which ones to complete, knowing that I may give you an individual assignment to guide your progress. This will enable you to work on assignments for your lessons to get feedback before the group!
These aren't due at the August class but you're encouraged to get started on at least one. You can present your work at the next class if needed.
Your choices are 2 or more of the following:
1. LYRIC-FIRST WRITING WITH A LYRIC EVERYONE KNOWS: Take the lyrics for Yesterday by the Beatles. Write a new song with them with different chords and melody and even instrumentation. This is a challenge because you'll hear the original melody in your head. Change to minor key, come up with chords first, or hum a melody into your phone's recorder. Improv is key or start with a stock progression (a good idea for songwriting any day) using Autochords or a similar app. Another tip: try altering the pacing of the lyrics; don’t pause in the same places. You can expand the lyrics as well - add a verse!
2. CHORD, MELODY FIRST WRITING: RE-WRITING LYRICS TO AN EXISTING SONG. You may alter the melody as you see fit, but keep the general chords, rhythm, and feel of the original song, which is TBA (stayed tuned or RSVP for more).
3. LYRIC-FIRST WRITING AND SWAPPING: Write an original lyric on an index card (single side only, the quicker the better); set it to music, it should be less than 120 seconds long. Record it quickly without editing and share it with me. You'll trade lyrics with a partner, who will make a new song from your lyrics without hearing your recorded version. You'll make a new song from that person (or another's) lyrics. We'll share both recorded versions of yours and your partners' songs at group class.
4. CHORDS-FIRST WRITING: Write a song of any length based on the chords given. They can't be changed. :)
At the class please try to bring one assignment in, even if it's just a partial.
You can also bring material you've been working on (recorded, or play for us!) and we'll do a structured feedback loop. You're always welcome to just attend and observe as well. If you need help getting started with songwriting (chords, lyrics, freewriting, object writing are several approaches), just holler! It's OK to come even if you've never written a song before.
Class is usually $30 but free for August 21. Snacks and drinks provided. Please RSVP and you'll get the full assignments, thanks!
It's that time of year: the holidays are upon us! Classes continue through December 21, with a break until January 5. But don't worry; if you want to begin lessons or schedule make-ups, I am available by request, except for the day of holidays (and their "eves").
Also, please don't hesitate to contact me for lesson gifts! I get numerous inquiries this time of year, and yes, I do offer gift certificates for your friend or special someone. I also have a few slots for new students in January. Ask me about gift certificates
Have a safe and happy holiday season, Merry Everything!
Like riding a bike, the muscle memory that enables us to play without consciously controlling each finger and hand movement can be developed and utilized early on in music practice.Read More
My schedule is filling up quickly for the fall, I have just a couple of spots left!
Please note I teach Tuesdays through Saturdays only but we can always make a lesson time work with your schedule.
- recital in December
- performance nights at the studio: play a song or just come watch!
- networking opportunities
- group lessons and classes: music theory, songwriting, performance
- voice coaching (adults), playing piano while singing
- voice lessons for children
- and of course, piano lessons in most any style!
- more on lessons: sign up today!
Check out the latest show: Sunday August 17, 2014 in North Hollywood. I'll be playing and maybe singing some backup for the wonderful Dan Callaway!