Hardman & Sons original NYC-made grand piano for sale in northeast Los Angeles.Read More
Hey Northeast LA, Happy first day of fall! I'm happy to announce the first Chords Class of the season is one week from today. This class covers:
_ Chords basics and review for those who need it: major vs minor, some inversions. No experience required!
_ Diminished, augmented, and who the heck uses them and why
_ 7ths and 4-note chords (as time allows) - if we don't get to it and you're down, check out the class the following week (Thurs, Oct 8).
Sept 30, 6:30pm. Full details on Facebook, please RSVP!
Hi everyone, it's August already - somehow! It may not seem like it, but this is the busiest time of year for everyone, kids or not.
LA United starts school on August 18 and Glendale even sooner - August 10! – so please be sure to reach out to schedule your child if you haven't already. And if you don't have children and are thinking about piano or vocal coaching for yourself, the sooner the better - I only have a couple prime slots left, and they'll fill fast.
A few new items and dates:
- Studio pool party this Sunday, August 9. If you're an adult piano, voice, or songwriting student, please RSVP and come swim! You probably walk by the pool many times and now's your chance to take advantage as well as hang out socially with other students (and me, the conversation is scintillating, not to brag).
- First songwriting group of the fall is Saturday, August 22, 3pm!
- Don't forget classes begin again the week of August 17 for kids!
- Lastly, I'm often told how beautiful the studio is and other teachers mention they would love to us it. Check out the new page: the studio is available a couple days a week when I'm not teaching to rent for out-of-towners or LA residents who want access to a grand piano in a quiet, private space. Studio rentals for rehearsals and teaching
- Coming this fall: Living Room concert series. I'm talking to a incredibly talented local singer-songwriters about coming to the studio to perform poolside.
Thanks, and happy August!
Hi friends and musicians!
Welcome to the new website. I'm excited to put a new layer of paint on my web presence, as well as a literal layer the new studio space in Glassell Park.
Why did the studio move?
I haven't posted since December because I was in limbo; my previous space in Atwater Village (shown below) was rented behind a kind friend's home, and she retired and moved out of state last weekend. For awhile it seemed I might get to stay, but the new owners took over the detached studio space.
This gave me a great opportunity to regroup and go with the flow; I briefly looked for other spaces, and the rental market is nuts! Detached work spaces in residential areas are all either rented, or cost 2-3 times what I wanted. So, owning a home myself, I've created a space in the back of my house.
The new studio is our old TV room, so it's a part of my house; but the back of my house has a separate address and entrance, which works out great. I'm working to soundproof and separate things further from the rest of the house—my partner works from home, too!—and so far, so good. Students so far love it and I get to be close to my family, including my little puppy.
Studio News: First Songwriting Group for 2015
It's so exciting to be back in Glassell Park — a hip, up-and-coming Northeast LA enclave right between Echo Park and Highland Park, bordering Atwater Village, Glendale, Eagle Rock, and Mt Washington. Some updates:
- First songwriters group class at the new studio: Friday, February 20. RSVP only. Want to join or get songwriting classes?
- Saturdays are mostly full; but slots are still available for now for 2 days of the week. Lessons include piano, voice, and songwriting! Learn how to sing or play in the new year.
- The first songwriting student showcase was a big success! Five students performed the last night at the Atwater Village space. See the gallery below for more, and videos will follow soon.
The Old Studio: Moving Out, but first: Performances!
Performances on the last night at the Atwater Village studio included Bobby, Tawal, Lexi, Seth, Felix, and Cynthia. Susan was there in spirit (next time!). It was a packed house, and not bad for a last-minute informal showcase! The next student showcase is in April or early May, so stay tuned.
The new studio in Glassell Park: painting, moving in, and all set up!
Lessons were a go without any break. It was a long weekend! Pictured: the final product (mostly), painting, moving the piano, the back entrance, and Glassell Park sights: Eagle Rock Blvd, Glasellland Sign*, Verdugo Bar and patio, Lemon Poppy Kitchen, and Ribet Academy. Also nearby: Los Feliz Charter School for the Arts.
*The Glassellland Sign will return to the hillside soon above the Glassell Park community center, 2 blocks away from BA Music Studio.
Like riding a bike, the muscle memory that enables us to play without consciously controlling each finger and hand movement can be developed and utilized early on in music practice.Read More