**MID-POINT CHECK-IN: Spring Songwriting Challenge** Ask for details, join any time!
The group meets each month @ Songsmith LA to:
- Discuss shared goals, work thus far, and tips for song/melody/lyric writing, recording, and more
- Get started on group prompts. These are assignments we all do and the results are always really fun and inspiring to others. These are exercises, so pressure is off and surprising things come out of it. When everyone writes from the same starting point, every result is different!
** The prompts are songwriting exercises, so the pressure is off. Having a place to start means you don't tie yourself in knots trying to write The Great Song. As a result, things flow and often surprising things come out of it - like melodies, lyrics, or even whole songs you can use.
** When everyone writes from the same starting point, every result is different. You get to see what other people in the group did with the same prompt (chords, lyrics, or more to start from) and those things you didn't think of inform your writing next time.
Space is limited; class is usually 5-8 people and consists of a group chat about progress and roadblocks; advice and technique; sharing recordings / playing songs on guitar or piano (past work is great, or new songs since last time); and looking at the prompts / group exercises, which Bobby creates and shares with you. FREE first time / $20 donation after. See you there to hear about your 2016 intentions!
Spring Songwriting Challenge through May 7, 2016!
PostCards from LA gives you guidelines and limitations to get you writing daily and keep you motivated by checking in with others.
- April 9 - May 7 / 4-week group challenge
- Daily writing / weekly batch of postcards due to Songsmith with your ideas on them
- Daily recording of short songs / jingles based on your cards
- Weekly round-up of your best and work on fleshing out one idea / stitching-together multiples
- At the end you'll have at least a dozen recordings, ideas from others, and cowriting opportunities; plus 1-4 long songs started // great for weekly song churning!
- Performances and listening party May 7, Saturday, 2pm @ Song Lab
- Participate anywhere in the US! We'll dial you in.
- THEME: Postcards from LA \\ Los Angeles, California, its people, places, sights, problems, opportunities. Just a launching pad. Both your time and lyric launching pad are constrained at first to keep you moving forward.